In the summer of 1950, a conversation between the artist and Benedikt Reetz,
Abbot of Seckau, gave rise to the idea of commissioning Boeckl to paint frescoes
in the "Angel" chapel. The abbot hoped for a "powerful sermon for all posterity",
bearing in mind the romanesque murals he had seen in Spain. Boeckl had a vision
of a "total art work", the completion of which was to take him a whole decade.
It was to become one of the most important sacred 20th-century works in Europe.